Saturday, May 17, 2014

More Wheel Throwing!

This week I was able to throw three more pots on the wheel. Unfortunately, only one of them didn't have a hole in the bottom when I took it off the wheel. The one that doesn't have a hole is shaped a little bit like a teacup, but bigger. The second one is smaller, and I curved the lip inward. The third one is either a very small bowl or a very large cup. It would be good for dipping cookies in hot chocolate or coffee. I think this will be my last blog post of this year, because next week we're not starting any new projects.


Saturday, May 10, 2014

Wheel Throwing!!

I finally got to try throwing a pot on the wheel this week! I had a lot of trouble getting it centered, but once it was centered, I was able to make an okay-looking pot. It ended up being too thick on the top and bottom, and too thin in the middle, but stayed standing when I took it off the wheel. After it dried for a little while, I sanded it and made designs on the sides. It's in the kiln right now with my eye-pot. I don't know what our next project is, though.


Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Painted Circus Tent

I finished painting the circus tent today, although I still might add decoration. We didn't have a gold glaze, so I painted it red and yellow. I still need to paint the inside and top rim, though. My eye-shaped pot is hopefully going in the kiln next week. I think I might make a couple more eye pots, maybe different sizes. I also dropped a mini round pot I made, so that's broken...


Saturday, April 26, 2014

New Pot!

Wow that's probably the fastest I've ever made anything! I just finished a pot in three days. Our project was to make a textured pot. I made one that kind of looked like an eye. The bottom is an eye/oval shaped thin slab of clay, and the sides are rectangles. I made the bottom first, and used it to measure out the sides. Then I slipped-and-scored them together, and added patterns and texture. I don't know what colors I'm going to paint it, though.


Saturday, April 19, 2014

Broken Platform

Well, I made the platform...and it broke the next day... I don't know if I'll make another one, because the wall is too hard to attach to it, but I might make some kind of stand. I also randomly started making a popsicle stick cube, which is actually harder than it looks. I made a square, then supports for the perpendicular sides, then added the sides. In my next class, I'll add the top square. I have no idea what  our next project is going to be, though.


Thursday, April 10, 2014


I finally succeeded in creating a semi-okay looking circus tent. The wall is just a rolled-up thin slab of clay, and the ceiling began as a circle. I cut out a hole in the center, and a section that looked like a slice of pie, and rolled it into a cone-shape. Then I drew the lines on both parts. It definitely doesn't look like I imagined it would, but it's still an improvement on last week's disaster. As you can see in the picture, I rolled and cut out the platform and the legs it's going to stand on, and I'm going to attach those to the wall next week. The legs look like they might turn out to be a little too skinny, so I might have to remake them. I hope not!


Sunday, April 6, 2014


After two dried and broken walls, and many failed attempts at adding trim to the ceiling of my circus tent-lantern, I have not made much progress. The semi-circle trim kept falling off every time I tried to attach it, and the ceiling eventually became so dry that I had to make a new one, which took all of last class. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to shape the edge of the ceiling into the trim, instead of trying to attach the trim to the ceiling. I still have to make the platform and legs, as well. I plan to glaze it red and gold, if I can find a gold glaze. If not, I'll glaze it red and yellow.

(I don't have a picture, but my sculpture looks about the same as it did last week.)